Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Plastic cartiledge for a wooden Skeleton

Well this installment finds me having to get new batteries for my digital camera so I can continue to update my construction of the Eldar Vampire Hunter.  That is why I haven't posted in a few.

I spent about 4 hours making sure the "Ribs" of the fuselage we able to match up evenly when a sheet of plastic will be glued onto the body.  This consisted of using a dremel to take thin layers off of the plywood ribs so that when I looked down the length of the body from fore to aft, it was uniform and no rib was out any further than the rest.

I am going to refer to areas of construction from here on out, in reference to a bird's anatomy as it is, in effect, a bird emulating structure.  The body will be the central construction and require the second most attention following of coarse the head/neck assembly.

As circled in red in Pic #1, I have dremeled out notches to fit a piece of plastic beam that, when married to the ribs, will form a uniform surface to glue the sheet plastic forming the skin of the "body." You will also see the plastic beam has corresponding notches to interlock with the rib notches.  Also notice to the right the Dowels glued together to form the basis of the "Tri-nozzle" exhaust system  Each is 5/8th" diameter (the diameter of a Falcon/Wave serpent exhaust nozzle which is used in the forge world kit and will be used in my variant.

In Pic #2 is the plastic beam is in place.  I added blue lines at the joins to show that the surface of the plastic beam should be even with the flat surface of the ribs where the "skin" of plastic sheet will be glued.  Also a third piece of dowel is added to the exhaust to show the general configuration.

My next post will be pics of all the plastic beams in place and address the adding of the "skin" to the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment